Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Sewing Challenge #3

Envisioning this finished product in use had me in stitches.  Don't get me wrong, Maria from WildChildGardens did a fantastic job but when you envision her punching sunflowers, you're sure to giggle just a bit.  Here's what I sent her:


A bit of fabric left over from the kitchen curtains that I (er, I mean mom made for me) several years ago, a handful of Coke lids and a Starbust package.  Of course my first thought was a sunflower harvesting glove, wasn't it yours?  That's exactly what Maria made.


Maria says that as the seed heads (of the sunflower) dry, they get really tight and sharp. By punching the sunflower seed heads with her bottle cap knuckles, the seeds easily pop out and and she can pick them up with her exposed fingertips. She even included a pocket made out of the Starburst package which had a Ziploc closure.

Also, because the glove is constructed from sturdy fabric and covers the whole and it's good for harvesting squash and okra, which otherwise leave tiny prickles in her arms all day. All of the sewing was done on her vintage Singer, except for the bottle tops. She punched 4 holes in each cap with a nail and then hand sewed them in place. She made a draw string around the top to hold the glove up and used a grommet and piece of lace edging to finish it up.

And because she believes strongly in using all parts of the "animal" (my kinda gal), she used the leftover materials to quilt together a little clutch. She used the two left over bottle caps as toggle closures for the bag.


So what do you think?  Have you picked your favorite project yet?  Well, hold that thought, we're not done yet!  Stay tuned for another fabulous project.

Stuff4 Sewing

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Pretty inventive, eh? I'm amazed at the creativity coming out of this challenge.

      Delete
  2. LOVE the Sunflower Harvesting Glove. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including me in this challenge! The bottle tops initially threw me for a loop but I decided to make them a functioning integral part. I had a lot of fun with it and created an entirely new design- great for sunflowers & cats (Daisy likes to scratch her face on the knuckles).

    Bonus- Want a free packet of seeds this month? I'll include one in every etsy order this month, or send me a SASE. Seed variety will be my choice, but I have mainly vegetables & herbs. Thanks again everyone for all the love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rut Roh! I might have to make one now that you mention the dual duty! I can see how my cats would love to rub their chins on the bottle caps. Cute idea!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...