Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Are You Ready For Some Good Times?

That's right folks, we're about to kick things up a notch! I got a Dremel for Christmas and I'm proud to say that I now know how to use it.  Okay, well, I still have a lot to learn but I'm having so much fun I just thought I needed to share it with all of you.  And I will share a new project with you each week, or thereabouts.

Wait, what?  You don't know what a Dremel is?  Well, it is only the greatest thing since sliced bread!  A Dremel is the brand name for a rotary tool, it's fabulous.  It can drill and cut through metal, engrave all kinds of stuff and is gentle enough to add fine details to a wood carver's masterpiece and even file acrylic nails (yep, it's a rotary tool that grinds down your weekly "fill").  The Dremel gets the job done by RPMs (it spins wicked fast) and not force. For a gal with nasty Carpal Tunnel Syndrome it's a God-send to not have to add so much force to the drill or jig saw.

Have I convinced you to join me on this journey yet?  Yeah?  Okay, you'll need a Dremel 200-1/21 Two-Speed Rotary Tool Kit before we get started. There are several versions of the Dremel but the 200 series is the one I have and the one I'll be using for my tutorials.  If you want  something even more wicked, check out the higher numbered series.  You'll also need safety glasses NO QUESTIONS asked.  It doesn't matter how dorky you think you look, you NEED them.  And you'll probably want some kind of protective gloves - the sparks will fly as will teeny tiny shards of metal!

While you gather your supplies, I'll leave you with a picture of the first project that I completed with my new Dremel.  It cut the handle off the spoon, carved out the heart and added a fun overall texture to the spoon.  The lettering was hand stamped, but you could engrave it with the Dremel if you've got the skill.

Junkr at <3

See you in a couple of days when I will show you how I made this necklace from a spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...